Welsh ll in English (was: Nordwestblock, Germani, and Grimm's law)

From: Richard Wordingham
Message: 65767
Date: 2010-01-27

--- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M. Scott" <BMScott@...> wrote:

> After simple <l(l)>, the most common English attempts to
> represent the Welsh sound are probably <fl> and <thl>.

Nowadays the usual substitutes are initial /kl/, intervocal <Tl> and final /T/, where /T/ is the voiceless dental fricative.