Re: [tied] Hng zango

From: Rick McCallister
Message: 49765
Date: 2007-09-02

It may be dialect or archaic but I believe Corominas
cites it as the source of Spanish zanco

--- "fournet.arnaud" <fournet.arnaud@...>
wrote:

>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Rick McCallister
> To: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 10:00 PM
> Subject: Re: [tied] Hng
>
>
> Basque zango is from Romance
> See Italian zanco
>
> ==============
>
> A.F : I couldn't find this word zanco in Italian
>
> What I found is :
>
> Zampa : "paw"
>
> Zoppo : "lame"
>
> Zoccolo : "clog"
>
> Zanzara "mosquito"
>
> Andare a zonzo "have a walk"
>
> It is hard to posit a Lombardic word *skank from
> these data.
>
> ========
>
> In French,
>
> Echasse < OF eschas, eschace < supposedly (and
> doubtfully) Frankish skak(k)ja,
>
> Meaning : a long piece of wood ; crutch ; limping
> person
>
> IN Spanish :
>
> See Spanish zanco "stilt", zancudo "mosquito
> --literally 'longlegs"
> ==========
>
> Zancudo and Italian Zanzara somehow look alike.
>
> Basically, zanco and French ├ęchasse do not mean
> "leg" but "piece of wood".
>
> They may be "Germanic" words from *skakkja and
> *skank-.
>
> Stilts are not "additionnal legs" but "pieces of
> wood".
>
> =================
>
> it's probably from a Lombard word derived from
> *skank-
> A.F :
>
> I do not agree, this remains to substantiated.
>
> Bask zango does not mean "piece of wood" but
> "leg", and nothing else.
>
> Other trials in Bask like z-aeiou-(n)-g/k lead
> nowhere.
>
> Bask zango "leg" most probably is not a loanword
> but an inherited word.
>
> ==================
>
> BTW: How did skank & variant skag come to mean
> "whore,
> loose ugly woman" in English? Is it because
> prostitutes show their legs?
> Skank and shank also mean "prison knife" made from
> a
> piece of metal, bedpost, etc.
>
> --- "fournet.arnaud" <fournet.arnaud@...>
> wrote:
>
> > You can find that among a pile of other strange
> > stuff in
> >
> http://www.angelfire.com/rant/tgpedersen/Hng.html
> >
> > Torsten
> >
> > =======================
> > Concerning the Greek word "wan-aks",
> > It looks like Chinese wang "emperor"
> > and Sumerian EN "king".
> > WEN does not exist so EN may be in fact [wen] <
> > *wan.
> > So maybe we have to posit a "asiatic" root *wan
> > "king"
> > This entails that Greece may have received a
> greater
> > influence
> > from Mesopotamia than usually accepted.
> >
> > ========================
> > I disagree with Bask zango "leg" could be from
> > *skank
> > and have any relationship with Germanic *skank-
> > /skink
> > I don't think (proto)-Bask could (ever) have
> that
> > kind of initial cluster.
> > clusters are internal in Bask, often thru
> > metatheses.
> >
> > A conspicuous feature of Bask, also visible in
> > Etruscan,
> > is that PIE *l and *r are reflected as [s]
> written
> > -z- in Bask.
> > Example :
> > Lip < *lap? = Bask ezp-ain < *zap-in
> > hence zango is in fact the same as leg and Greek
> > laks.
> >
> > Etruscan has the same feature :
> > Kor "young man" :
> > Bask giz-on
> > ETruscan hus
> > Bask initial -g- should in fact be hoz-
> > so that this word seems a compound gi- + hoz-on
> >
> > giz-on
> >
> > gher "house, enclose place"
> > Bask etche < ehza < haz
> > ETruscan casa
> >
> > Reg "straight branch"
> > Etruscan sag-itta.
> >
> > Usually Bask and Etruscan display the same
> mutation
> > :
> > unvoiced > spirant k > h
> > voiced > often unchanged
> > voiced aspirated > often unvoiced
> > glottalized > unvoiced
> >
> > Bask -l- reflect PIE -d- and -r- reflects -t?-
> > that has this consequence that in fact eat and
> tooth
> > are not the same root :
> > tooth hor-tz < H1ot?
> > eat (or bite) hel/hal < H1ad
> > Bask h is from either H1 or k.
> >
> > I class Bask and Etruscan in the same genetic
> group
> > "Paleo-European".
> > Etruscan is neither an imported language nor a
> part
> > of Indo-European.
> > Bask is usually a comparative nightmare
> > but a couple of things are clear.
> > There are no Bask or Etruscan enigmas.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
__________________________________________________________
> Need a vacation? Get great deals
> to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
> http://travel.yahoo.com/
>
>
>




____________________________________________________________________________________
Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC