Patrick Chew wrote:
> At 04:11 PM 8/12/2003 -0400, Peter Daniels wrote:
> >"Morphogram" means a sign that denotes a morpheme, just as "logogram"
> >means a sign that denotes a word and "phonogram" (see why I use -gram?)
> >means a sign that denotes a sound and "ideogram" means a sign that
> >denotes an idea.
> I think something that would be good to provide for the community
> here, and at large, would be to pull together terms in use, "proper" or
> "improper"... I know that I honestly cannot come up with an articulate
> differentiation between -gram and --graph, which looks like the impetus for
> the above paragraph.

There's no difference at all between -gram and -graph, except that
"phonograph" already means something else, and we have the model of
"telegram" for the thing and "telegraph" for the system.

> For instance, a post that pulls together the various morphemes
> used in the study/discussion of writing systems: ideo-, logo-, picto-,
> syllabary, abugida, abjad, alephbet, asiomagraphic, etc...

What's asiomagraphic?

> I understand that the Unicode Consortium had to consider
> non-jargon oriented people in mind, but I also think that if we don't use
> this forum to pull together to provide adequate resources to actually
> correct and provide said terminology, then ... why should we and/or how can
> we really gripe about it?

You could start with Gelb's glossary, in *A Study of Writing*.
Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...