--- In Nostratica@yahoogroups.com,
"Geraldine Reinhardt" <waluk@...>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Piotr Gasiorowski
> To: Nostratica@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003
11:44 AM
> Subject: Re: [Nostratica] Re:
Piotr presumably thinks a lady will
survive asking the question in
Dublin. Actually, the Irish
Republic is promoted in England as
a holiday destination.
On the other hand, people flying
the Irish tricolour from their cars
in England during the football
world cup thought it prudent to
also fly the English (not the
British) flag.
The answer to the question might as
well be yes. If they move to the
UK, they have full UK voting
In the UK, we normally call
Southern Ireland Eire (deprecated),
the Republic, or the Irish
> Yes. I have been explaining the
status of the _Southern_ part, i.e.
Eire, i.e. the Republic of Ireland.
> GR: Thought you were speaking
of *both* the north and south.
Misinformation certainly can spark
a conflict.
> If you say "Ireland" without an
adjective, then you mean either the
whole island or the Irish state
alone, i.e. the Republic,
_excluding the Northern part_.
Informally, all the world calls the
independent state "Ireland"
ignoring the political overtones of
such usage (the Irish Constitution
also says "The name of the State is
Eire, or in the English language,
Ireland", but this is a political
statement, the North being regarded
as Irish national territory
currently under British
> If you ever go to Dublin,
Ireland, try stepping into a pub
and loudly asking the folks inside
if they're British subjects.
> GR: Dubliners apparently hate
the British (err, English, err The
Royals), eah?
> Gerry
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> To unsubscribe from this group,
send an email to:
> Nostratica-unsubscribe@...
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is
subject to the Yahoo! Terms of