Yes, though I can't persuade myself that the /g/ is really elided. The
nearest I can imagine is <can't get> being [kA:n?get], with the glottal stop
reducing but not totally eliminating the /g/. A better rendering would be,
'I can't get a hold of him.' Whether 'a' is the indefinite article or the
reduced preposition, I can't say. I don't use it in my speech.

A precedent for the 'g' being shown as omitted is the spelling "in kitchen"
for "in t' kitchen" for Northern English "in the kitchen". Again, not my
dialect, except as a caricature.


----- Original Message -----
From: Lud
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 7:17 PM

Does somebody know what this means:


Is it some slang or dialects for "I can't get hold of him"?

Real Cool