----- Original Message -----
From: Urban Lindqvist
To: phoNet@egroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 8:10 PM
Subject: [phoNet] Illabial

Today I came across a word I've never seen or heard before: illabial. I would guess that it's the same thing as unrounded, but I prefer information to guesses. It says in a book that the sound written <õ> in Estonian (which I don't know) is "ein illabialer mittelhoher Mittelvokal" — [ə]? Can anyone confirm this?
From the description it's quite clear that the intended meaning is 'non-labial', but I can't recall ever coming across this adjective (there is no 'invelar' or 'indental' either). A learned nonce-word, most likely.