--- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, Victor Hansen <victor_akl_nz@...>
> Hi all, quick question if I might get some help on this.
> I have two words, herlid and fyrd, I am wondering which term is
closest to old Norse and which is more appropriate to discribe a
warlike group of Norse people.

That depends on the context. 'herlið' means "troops". 'fyrðar' is a
poetic word for "men" or "warriors". They are both attested in Old Norse.